Subject: Re: mk/gnu-config question/request
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/12/2005 11:35:34
-On [20050612 03:44], Johnny C. Lam (jlam@NetBSD.org) wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 01:57:31AM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
>> Find attached an updated patch with an auto-run target for some autotools if
>> GNU_CONFIGURE is specified.
>
>Why do we want to do this?

Because it is the only hook I have right now to reasonably rerun the
autotools in order to update outdated files within a given pkg so that it
takes benefit of recent changes within the autotools (libtool specifically)
pkgs.

[snip]

>I don't understand why this is necessary.  Packages that use libtool
>to build shared libraries are configured to use the libtool that
>installed by pkgsrc by devel/libtool-base.

Yes, and it does and it depends on it and it does not solve the
problem/issue at hand, which is not building shared libraries.  It's one
thing to replace 'libtool', it's another for ltmain.sh and libtool.m4.  If
the configure script does not contain some parts of an updated libtool.m4 it
will never detect to build shared libraries and thus will not build them.

And *that* is why this is necessary.

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...