Subject: Re: Perl changes *after* branch
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/08/2005 12:11:18
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

> Have you looked at bsdpan which is included in the FreeBSD ports?  Very
> useful for registering pkgs installed through the CPAN module. (Haven't had
> the time yet to check if it already supported something like this in
> pkgsrc.)

No, I believe this is the wrong way to go.  I've outlined my plan in the
slides found here:

	http://www.pkgsrccon.org/2005/slides/jlam/diy-pkgsrc.html

and it's more fully described in the PR database at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=29404

With these changes, the user can simply use the CPAN module to install
and deinstall perl modules independently of pkgsrc.  I am not in favor
of automatically generating perl module packages through CPAN since the
results are not consistently predictable and thus are not usable as
dependencies.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>