Subject: Re: binary bootstrap kits as native packages
To: Tyler Retzlaff <rtr@omicron-persei-8.net>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/06/2005 11:45:02
Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
> No, this is not what I meant.  I only mean providing the bootstrap as a
> native package.  I don't mean that pkgsrc should have a target that
> builds native packages.
>
> As Roland said:
>
> apt-get install pkgsrc.deb
> rpm -i pkgsrc.rpm
> installer -pkg pkgsrc.pkg -target /
>
> which would just install bmake, digest, pkg_* tools to /usr/pkg.

I think a big step towards doing that would be providing a source
tarball containing the bare minimum required to bootstrap. This would
make the binary pkgsrc bootstrap more attractive to third party
packagers to include in other package systems.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to script creation of this tarball
from the main pkgsrc tree.

--
Gilette - the best a man can forget