Subject: Re: Documenting user-variables
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/04/2005 12:54:08
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:

> > Seems you know more than who did (part of) that "design" then. :)
>
> Then the Guide is not designed to contain *user documentation*?  That's what
> nearly every doc item in packages.7 is.

Let me correct this, as I'm tripping over my own fingers (sorry for this;
maybeI woke up too early this morning :).

By this separation, I'm actually meaning doc for someone looking at a
package vs. someone looking at the infrastructure.  There's a big difference
between these.

The Guide contains docs on all sorts of things other than mk.conf variables
-- down to "print-PLIST" and SUBST and the gross internals of a buildlink3
file.  The things in packages.7 are even higher level than those, so they
definitely do not belong at a lower documentation level away from the eyes
of users looking at the Guide.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>