Subject: Re: Documenting user-variables
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2005 23:36:18
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Well, long time ago we used to have a list of variables used/setable in
> bsd.pkg.mk, and for some reason it was found to be a good idea to move that
> into src/.../packages.7, where it's rotting away now, while other variables
> get happily documented in the various files in pkgsrc/mk/* where they are
> used/defined, which IMHO is fine. So:
>
> 1) as a complete list for pkgsrc variable documentation, I recommend
>    moving packages.7 back at the top of bsd.pkg.mk. Yes, that's not
>    readable for users, but it will get maintained.

The main maintenance problem with packages.7 is the fact that it's in src/,
but it contains information about pkgsrc/.  How about putting it into
something designed for this sort of thing, maintained in the same
repository:  pkgsrc/doc/guide?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>