Subject: Re: unpriviledged build + parallel builds
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2005 09:38:46
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> I'm interested in both projects as part of the Summer of Code and
> would like to pick one of them. Actually I'm thinking about doing
> both at the same time, since one strongly affects the others.
>
> My first question is of course, does someone else want to work on
> this? I don't want to step on someone else's foot. Second question
> is, whom should I talk with about the design I have in mind and the
> set of features and requirements?

Both of these sound great.

Unprivileged builds basically is just doing bulk builds without superuser
permission and then slowly fixing every package that is broken. I see this
as a time consuming and tedious process, but definitely worth it.

I did this for a while on FreeBSD and documented many things to fix. Using
FreeBSD was not a good choice for though for this since I had other issues
to fix too. It would be good to do the unprivileged builds work on a
platform like NetBSD/i386 2.x that is known to have almost all packages
working in the first place.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/