Subject: Re: Master sites randomization
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2005 10:46:25
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:

> > This will need to be after the freeze is over.  This will likely require
> > turning bootstrap/bmake into a real, registered package so that it can be
> > replaced (and so that its version can be checked for compatibility with
> > :Ox).
> >
> > Someone was talking about doing this conversion, but I forget who....
>
> The pkgsrc already have it at devel/bmake maintained by the author
> (Simon J. Gerraty).

Ah yes, that's who.  :)

The problem is that these sources are not used by bootstrap.

There are several "packages" that are built and installed without
registering into pkgdb by bootstrap.  That's the real problem -- changing
bootstrap to register virtual packages for more than just "digest".  At that
point it would be possible to make packages for bmake, mk-files, etc.
upgradeable without too much trouble.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>