Subject: Re: Master sites randomization
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/02/2005 13:32:56
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 11:50:17 +0200
"Geert Hendrickx" <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:41:07AM +0300, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > As I've previously noted, all pkgsrc users have used some predefined
> > list of distribution sites, known as MASTER_SITE_FOO. The problem is
> > that list is hardcoded, and "make fetch" always tries to download sites
> > in order from first to last. Thus, latest sites at list are likely never
> > tried, and first sites are under heavy load from the pkgsrc users.
> >
> > This problem can be solved by randomization of site lists, and is
> > extremely actual for the sites like Sourceforge or OOo mirror list.
> >
> > Fortunatelly, current NetBSD make(1) already have a variable
> > randomization modifier - ':Ox'. It's action is shown by the following
> > example:
> > [...]
>
> How does this interact with MASTER_SORT ?

IIUC, MASTER_SORT allows to select preferred sites from the site list.
Generally said, it's no matter how that site was ordered before. The
':Ox' allows you bit randomize you choice, but you may specify exact
rules for preferred sites. This is well enough because MASTER_SITE_FOO
is used at specific package Makefile only and all other operations are
processed on MASTER_SITES variable.

--
Mishka.