Subject: Re: Problems with DIALOG in ramdisk-small
To: Rob Bennett <rob_bennett@yahoo.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/02/2005 01:24:10
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Rob Bennett wrote:
>> So did you copy the shared lib as well?
>
> What's the shared lib?  There was nothing else in
> /libexec - should there be?
>
> I copied ld.so from, uhh, somewhere on my system, but
> it's not playing ball and I don't feel entirely
> confident I'm heading down the right avenue.
>
> Surely, if dialog has a bunch of dependencies, they're
> listed somewhere?  Also, surely if /libexec/ld.elf_so
> being missing affects so many other binaries, then
> google would be full of people with a similar problem
> to mine?  Something doesn't add up.
> Am I doing something *too weird*?

I think you're lacking a bit of understanding of how a number of things
work... unfortunately there's not THE MANUAL that I could throw at your
head for this, but maybe "Linkers and Loaders" would be good reading (if
you have a lot of time, and aren't afraid of getting told more than you
want to know ;) on this topic.

In short:

Stuff in the boot floppies & g4u is usually linked statically.
You seem to have managed to add a dynamilcally linked executable.
What happens if you run it is that the kernel(?) first runs the shared
library loader, ld_elf.so, which in turn will load the shared libraries
that the binary was linked against.

Run "ldd yourbinary" to find out what these libs are in detail.

  - Hubert

--
Genervt von Viren und von Viren versandten Spam-Mails?  -> www.NetBSD.de
Fed up from viruses & virus-originated spam mail?       -> www.NetBSD.org