Subject: Re: Reformatting faq.xml
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2005 23:05:22
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 17:39 +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > Well, I was thinking of user questions, not how to do specific stuff in
> > pkgsrc (which is what was in the FAQ before).  For example:
> >
> > 1) How do I install GNOME?  (explain the difference between gnome-base
> >   and gnome)
> > 2) Why does the gnome meta package depend on <foo>?  (explain the
> >   rationale rationale behind the dependency tree)
> > 3) Why does the help|contents menu item do not work?  (missing yelp)
> > 4) I installed gstreamer and gst-plugins, but I can't play any media
> >   files.  Why?
> > 5) Why does the trash show no files?  (see PR number ...)
> >
> > I think I had some more ideas in my mind... but can't remember them now.
> > Do you feel this is OK?
>
> Hmmm, not sure. This is about documentation about running some 3rd party
> application on NetBSD. I don't think we have a place for such
> documentation right now. Places that come to mind are the pkgsrc guide (as
> you suggested), the NetBSD guide, or somewhere in htdocs. I recommend
> asking for advice on netbsd-docs@.

I think the pkgsrc guide is the right place because several questions
are related to how we handle the specific packages in pkgsrc.  Will ask
in netbsd-docs, though, when I "finish" something else... (see below).

> If the pkgsrc guide is it, I'd say add "Package specific directions"
> similar to #13.5, and add it as seperate section between "5. Creating
> binary packages" and "6. Frequently Asked Questions".

Hmm yes, a new chapter may be good if we want to keep the FAQ one at a
minimum.

> > I'm also thinking about rewriting some of the section headers to be
> > questions (which the attached patch does not do), and maybe rewrite the
> > sysconf stuff I wrote a while ago (because part of it does belong to the
> > developers section, not the FAQ).  Anyway, all of these will be separate
> > commits.
>
> Yup. :)

I think I've opened a can of worms touching this... you know ;)
Started resorting that question and ended up creating a new chapter
about the pkginstall framework.  It's still incomplete, but you can see
the outline and the "configuration files" section already written in:

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmmv/pkginstall.diff

Comments about the structure/ideas?

If it's OK, should I first commit it as is (incomplete), saying that
it's a rewrite of we have now (no more "unrelated" things), or should
everything be added at once?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>