Subject: python versions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/31/2005 14:40:46
I'm running 2.0, and found (some time ago) I needed to install
python23-pth to get threading to work.  So I have python2p3 installed
and my /etc/mk.conf lists

PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT=23pth

which used to make new packages build against that version...

I just updated pkgsrc and tried to build a new pkg that needed
py-twisted that lists:

PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=	24 23 22

which appears not to match 2p3, so it went ahead and built python 2.4
(presumably without threading?)

my pkgsrc is uptodate as of yesterday, my pkg tools are also up to
date.

Questions:

1/ do I still need to build the -pth version of python to get threads?
2/ is there some new trick needed to make packages use the installed
   2p3 version?

Thanks
--sjg