Subject: Re: NetBSD's "sed" is not GNUish
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/25/2005 21:35:48
jlam@NetBSD.org said:
> IIRC, NetBSD's sed is okay to use in place of GNU sed for almost every
>  case in pkgsrc.

For me, math/octave (-2.1.70) doesn't build.
The "configure" script does some checks which NetBSD's "sed"
doesn't pass. It shortcuts if it recognizes gsed by --version.
I'm not sure whether NetBSD-sed would be usable anyway.

For some reason, the build failure is not visible at all in the bulk builds.
One should assume this pkg compiles in the bulk build environment,
but otoh there has no recent octave-2.1.x pkg been uploaded as binary.
Might be that the bulk-build mechanism overreacts on CONFLICTS lines
and doesn't even try... I don't know.

> If that's not true, then yes, please delete that line.

As said, I'm not sure whether our sed would do it (I'm just
running an octace build, but this is C++ and takes a while).
But for POLA, I'd prefer that "gsed" is really GNU-sed. If we
have other means to weight the quality of "sed" implementations,
we should do that explicitely.

best regards
Matthias