Subject: Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 1.6.2/i386 bulk build results 2005-05-21
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2005 23:40:14
On Mon, 23 May 2005, Eric Gillespie wrote:

> Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se> writes:
>
>> that pulls in converters/libiconv/buildlink3.mk regardless of if
>> it is needed or not (we have not seen it fail in he bulk builds
>> because it was not used during the build before Johnny's recent
>> changes).
>
> That should not be entirely correct.  libiconv/buildlink3.mk will
> be pulled in so that its builtin.mk can decide whether or not
> libiconv is needed.

The situation is slightly more complicated...

NetBSD 1.6 does not have iconv, but it has a libintl (that does
not need any inconv..)  The gettext-lib/builtin.mk determines
that this libintl is good enough, but gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk
pulls in libiconv/buildlink3.mk anyway.  The libiconv/builtin.mk
does now (correctly) determine that we don't have a libiconv,
so the pkgsrc libiconv is built.

The gtar configure script now sees that we have a libiconv, and
happily links to it...

>> I'm fine with just adding converters/libiconv/buildlink3.mk as
>> an explicit dependency to archivers/gtar-base too.
>
> Why is that necessary?  gettext's buildlink3.mk already pulls it
> in.

The buildlink stuff keeps track of the include depth through
the BUILDLINK_DEPTH mechanism, and does only add the top-level
includes to the dependency...

Anyway, it looks like jlam fixed this problem yesterday...

    /Krister