Subject: Re: The Logo Thread. (^&
To: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/21/2005 14:29:35
On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 07:35:46PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 12:08:19PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > Just a few comments on this thread:
> >
> >  * pkgsrc is not just for NetBSD anymore.  Do you want to emphasize
> >    the relation in a logo?  NetBSD users already know about pkgsrc.
>
> Giving pkgsrc its own logo may emphesize the fact that it's a project on
> its own right.  But some inheritance from the NetBSD logo isn't exactly
> "unright", is it?

If it were incidental, no problem.  But the NetBSD logo is so ugly that
I actively avoid the main web-page now.  (I used to go there on my way
to the mailing lists to check announcements, but after losing the nice
flag-raising splash graphic for the logo...ewww.)

If it is too readily suggesting NetBSD, it may strengthen the
impression, "Oh, pkgsrc.  That's only for NetBSD."

I'm going to stay away from repeating things that I said about,
e.g., the color scheme when the NetBSD logo was announced.  I'll
be strong.  (^&

> >  * There is no pkgsrc-advocacy list that I know of, and (see previous
> >    point) netbsd-advocacy seems wrong to me, so this is probably the
> >    best place for the thread.
>
> It's still a tech- list.  Maybe this is a good moment to start some
> separate pkgsrc lists, like pkgsrc-advocacy (and maybe rename tech-pkg
> to pkgsrc-tech ?).

Yeah, I know, but it's also the only pkgsrc-related list.  This
thread has absolutely nothing to do with NetBSD, per se; it does
have to do with pkgsrc.

More lists might be a good idea.