Subject: Re: pkgsrc logo -> draft from scratch (vector gfx)
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/20/2005 15:19:41
thus Lubomir Sedlacik spake:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 02:16:31PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>
>>hm, finding colours which allow you that is not trivial. furthermore,
>>you'll have to put more contrast in the logo itself, e.g. black line
>>on each edge of the 'cube'. i think that this would make the logo
>>uncool (or whatever one should call this)...
>

> that's why creating a good logo is not easy!
>

>>>the logo as it is now doesn't work in monochrome.
>>
>>why not?
>

> uh, for obvious reasons (by monochrome i really meant just 1bit, sorry)?
>
>  http://NetBSD.org/~salo/pkgsrc-logo-1bit.png

okay, in 1bit that's sure :D

however, one could change the pkgsrc black on black to white on black
(only the part where the cube comes into the pkgsrc et vice versa).

> logo which is unusable with 2 colors is a badly designed logo.
>

>>>i don't see the reason of splitting pkgsrc into two words when it's
>>>one (it's even a registered trademark of TNF).
>>
>>i didn't understand this either, but i think it's more an emphasizing
>>of each part of pkgsrc instead of splitting it into two words.
>

> imo, it would only spread confusion.

that's up to hubert, i think.

>>another option would be to use one part in italics, and the other in
>>regular -- but this is not the pkgsrc-style (it's italics). so it has
>>to be emphasized in another way.
>

> i don't really see any need for emphasizing, ymmv.

me too, but it's the only explanation (not based on information) i have
for hubert's 'pkgsrc' splitting.

cheers,

timo