Subject: background package builds and autoconf/readline: guile loses
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/17/2005 11:59:00
I am using pkg_comp and pkg_chk to bulk build a particular set of
packages on 2.99.15/i386.

I started something that essentially looks like

pkg_comp chroot pkg_chk ... &> PACKAGE &

This mostly works fine, but the build of guile hangs after:

  checking if readline clears SA_RESTART flag for SIGWINCH...

If I put pkg_comp into the foreground, wait a few seconds, and
background it again, things continue.

I realize chroot issues and controlling terminal etc. issues are
separate, and that this is a manifestation of a larger issue with
package configuration needing to test interactive-type things (tty, X
server, etc.).  So perhaps I should be dissociating from controlling
tty, or at least redirecting stdin also.

Comments?