Subject: Re: XINE_USE_WIN32_CODECS?= NO (was: HEADS UP: change regarding
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/07/2005 08:24:21
On Sat, 7 May 2005, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> > Not related to security, but xine-lib depends on win32-codecs which has an
> > unknown license restricting it from FTP and CD collections. This causes
> > "incomplete binary package sets" such as: gxine, kdemultimedia, kmplayer,
> > xine-arts, xine-esound, xine-ui, kdeaddons, kde, acidrip, dvdrip,
> > gmencoder, and maybe others. (Notice "kde"!)
> >
> > This is PR 29912. I never fixed myself, because I am waiting for an okay.
> > I am proposing a XINE_USE_WIN32_CODECS option. I don't know xine code so I
> > don't know if there can easily be added package to provide these.
> >
> > Probably same needs to be done for realplayer-codecs too.
>
>  	Just to clarify - this would make a win32-codecs free xine
>  	package which works, but will automatically use the win32-codecs
>  	package if installed?

It will make a win32-codecs free xine package which works.

I do not know if it will automatically use the win32-codecs package if
installed. I don't know yet if the xine plugins for qt and w32dll contain
the code we should not upload.

I will look to see how other "free" operating systems provide xine.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/