Subject: Re: acroread7 and fonts
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/06/2005 11:11:40
On Friday 06 May 2005 09:09, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> It seems that acroread7 doesn't have or use all the fonts that are
> available in acroread5.  Take, for example, the PDF available at
> http://www.math.stevens.edu/~pmiller/pub/symposium-2005-schedule.pdf
>
> This document seems to render fine in acroread, but when you try to
> print it (either to a file or to a printer), it gets quite messed up.

It does rather doesn't it.

I notice from the Document Properties that the fonts used in your doc are all
Embedded Subset's so you would think it wouldn't need any other fonts and as
you say it renders fine on the screen.  Maybe its a bug with its printing of
embedded fonts.  I haven't struck a problem printing any other PDF's, not
that I've tried to print many.

> acroread5 does not have that problem.  Anybody have any ideas how to fix
> this?

No sorry.

> Also, in order to be able to print from acroread7, I had to actually
> manually create a symlink from /usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/bin/lp{r,} to
> /usr/pkg/lp{r,}, which was not necessary (and should not be necessary)
> for acroread5.

I had to do that too.  It looks to me that it looks at the /usr/bin/lp{r,} and
for some reason takes the directory part (/usr/bin), cd's to it (so ends up
in /emul/linux/usr/bin since that exists) does a getcwd
(getting /usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/bin) and then prepends that to lp{r,} and
tries to use that which clearly wont work.  Why it bothers to try rather than
just using what it was given I don't know.

cheers
mark