Subject: Re: dealing with 'click-to-accept-GPL' download?
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/30/2005 17:55:41
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> Are there any blindingly obvious options I'm missing?

Emulate the click (see pkgsrc/misc/staroffice or so).

Looking at the GPL, forcing users to "click to accept the license" is
in no way sensible, as the GPL does not cover _use_ of the software:

GPL#0, paragraph 2: Activities other than copying, distribution and
modification are not covered by this License; they are outside its scope.

I'd take this as justification to automate the click every day. :)

Of course talking to the people in the first place with be better, so they
know what they actually do, and what we want. Assuming that what we do is
in their interest, asking won't hurt.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)