Subject: Re: mppe & DragonFly
To: Reid Thompson <reid.thompson@ateb.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/18/2005 19:39:49
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Reid Thompson wrote:

> ===> mppe-lkm-0.0.4nb1 is not available for DragonFly-1.2.0-RELEASE-i386
>
> Can anyone provide instructions or a pointer to instructions to successfully
> compiling/using mppe on DragonFly?

I see that mppe-lkm is a "NetBSD kernel module". The source code appears
to be for Linux kernels, plus a file is provided to support NetBSD. It
uses ppp_mppe_compress.c and ppp-comp-local.h from the
kernel_ppp_mppe-0.0.4-src download.

I'd suggest that you comment out that ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM=.

Then run "make configure" and look at the created work/mppe-lkm/ directory
and in particular at lkm_mppe.c.

Then ask a DragonFly list and/or the poptop.sf.net list to help with
making this compile under DragonFly. You probably just need a custom
lkm_mppe.c. Maybe some google searches will show that it is already
available for DragonFly or FreeBSD and we can add that support to pkgsrc.

(As for me, I don't know this software.)

Good luck,

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/