Subject: Re: Have pkgsrc building make use of SMP?
To: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2005 16:49:10
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> If that's the case, then it's not so much a case of a bug in make, but
> rather a problem with insufficiently specified dependencies in the
> packages' Makefiles.  Since we're talking about third-party software
> typically not exposed to parallel builds, I'd say it would be
> difficult at best to fix all of pkgsrc's package Makefiles to play
> nice with "make -jX", so following that avenue of attack to making
> good use for more than one CPU is going to be an uphill battle at
> best.

Yes. And given that GNUmake seems to deal ok, I blame BSDmake.

Given that the target-structure of a Makefile contains all the data on
what can/should be done an in parallel, and what to wait for before
proceeding to the next target, I wonder if that can't be used.
But I won't touch make. :)

> Going into whishlist mode: Making use of multiple CPUs on a single
> physical machine could be the relatively simple first step in making
> it possible to spread package builds across multiple machines in order
> to speed up package builds for a given architecture...  Clustered bulk
> builds, anyone?

Johnny wanted to talk about his "bobac" cluster bulkbuild thing at
pkgsrcCon. I have no idea what it is. Probably more than just an extended
"make".

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)