Subject: Re: cleaning out pkg between each bulk build? (was: CVS commit:
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2005 13:39:55
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:

> > I also had a man/man2 which was a text file.
>
> Do you have mtree invocation turned off somehow?  At "install" time, mtree
> should run to ensure all the pkgsrc infrastructure directories exist.

Yes, it is turned off. NO_MTREE=yes

mtree complains so much in my non-root builds that my build failure logs
had hundreds (thousands?) of lines about ownership failures.

My bulk builds are a good test of not using mtree, such as in a pkgviews
setup.

> > Should we also clean out all of ${LOCALBASE} before each package build?
> >
> > Maybe after saving list of leftover files?
>
> We actually save the leftover files themselves, not just their names.  8-)

I have over 7500 files and 81 megabytes of leftover files saved (with only
a partial bulk builds done). I will have too look closer at all this.

Part of the problem is an install will fail part way and then no
pkg_delete is ever done to clean up. So really they are not leftovers! I
saw this a couple days ago with some partial installs of python packages.

If we deleted all of ${LOCALBASE} each time, we could save the leftovers
only if the installation and then pkg_delete was successful.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/