Subject: Re: MESSAGE for ms-ttf
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2005 17:58:30
On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 18:49 +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> I'd like to add this MESSAGE to pkgsrc/fonts/ms-ttf. Any objections?

> $NetBSD$
>
> After installing ${PKGNAME} you must run the following commands
> to use these TrueType fonts with your X server:
>
> # mkfontscale ${PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/TTF       # [1]
> # mkfontdir ${PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts/TTF         #

Is this really necessary?  fonts.mk uses ttmkfdir2 to generate those
files, AFAICT.  If not, it should be fixed to DTRT for TTF directories.

> # fc-cache -v                                   # [2]

This either.  I remember I used to have problems (loooong delays at
programs' startup) if I didn't run fc-cache beforehand; happened a while
ago.  But in recent installations, this doesn't seem to be needed any
more (everything starts quickly; I'd say the cache is automatically
generated when needed).  Am I wrong?

> You must also configure your X server to use the new fonts. Add
> these to your /etc/X11/XF86Config. Make sure the TTF and Type1
> font settings are the first FontPath lines.
>
> Section "Files"
>          FontPath     "/usr/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
>          FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>          Load  "type1"
>          Load  "freetype"