Subject: Re: Stopping a common shoot-your-own-foot problem
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2005 10:36:52
It occurred to me that Geert Hendrickx wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.devel.packages:
> Another argument is that I wouldn't like important databases to be
> dump-restored with incompatible versions of db4 in an automated way.
> I wouldn't mind taking some time to do that manually. :-)

Well, maybe I shouldn't have implied an automagic backup - I'm just thinking
out loud, figuring out a way how to make that manual backup somewhat
less painful.

For the average user, most db4 usage is in dependencies. It would be really
great if I could retrieve a list of known, system-wide db4 databases.

(And it would be even better if db4 was backwards compatible, but I guess
 I'm preaching to the converted ;)