Subject: Re: x11/gtk2 doesn't build on Linux (SuSE 8.1)
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/28/2005 14:49:28
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Johnny Lam wrote:

> There is no "-lXft" in that link line, so it's now a question of how the
> linker behaves when it needs to track down shlib dependencies.  It's
> possible that /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so doesn't have a correct SONAME
> (maybe it points to itself), but barring that, it makes me wonder if
> there is something different between how the linker deals with shlib
> dependencies on Linux versus NetBSD.  This problem needs more investigation.

I haven't been following this thread very closely, but this caught my
attention. When XFree86 or Xorg libraries are built under Linux, by
default, they are not hard-coded with the rpath. It is expected on Linux
to have your ld.so.cache set up to use X applications and libraries. (I
don't know if this is related or not to this situation.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/