Subject: some questions and remarks on pkgsrc/textproc/dict-client
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/28/2005 21:28:26
I've just finished compiling pkgsrc/textproc/dict-client-1.9.15 rev 1 on
IRIX 5.3, and there are a few issues I would like to raise here:

* is it intensional that dict compiles with its own zlib version instead
of the one supplied by the system (or pkgsrc respectively)? If not, then
the following line needs to be added to Makefile:
.include "../../devel/zlib/buildlink3.mk"
On systems with native zlib there's probably no difference since the
configure script would likely find it anyway.

* ../dict-server/patches/patch-ak adds to libmaa/configure
LIBS=`echo $LIBS | sed -e 's|-lmaa||'`

On systems with no native zlib and/or regex $LIBS contains -lz and/or
-lregex, as supplied by the top-level configure. The above line makes
these libs attempted to be included during the libmaa configure
proceducre as well, which makes it fail. So if this line is necessary it
ought to be changed into
LIBS=`echo $LIBS | sed -e 's|-lmaa||'  -e 's|-lz||'  -e 's|-lregex||'`

On systems such as NetBSD with native regex and zlib this issue will
probably not surface.

* the following problem might or might not be specific to my system: In
order to compile getopt.c (as included by getopt_long.c) I need to
include getopt.h and in particular make sure it is the version supplied
by the OS (i.e. /usr/include/getopt.h), not libmgaa/getopt.h. Otherwise
some definitions are not available or conflicting.
Since buildlink removes any explicit references to -I/usr/include which
one might consider adding, giving priority to -Ilibmaa, I resorted to
adding
#if HAVE_GETOPT
#include "/usr/include/getopt.h"
#define _GETOPT_H 1
#endif
to getopt.c. The define is to prevent the later inclusion of
libmaa/getopt.h, which would otherwise be included through stdlib.h.
If one enclosed this by an approriate #ifdef for the affected platform,
do you think that's an appropriate solution here?

Before formally filing a PR I would like to hear your comments on these
issues.

Thanks.

Georg

--