Subject: Grub MESSAGE suggestion.
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2005 13:47:07
Hi,

I supposed I should send-pr this, but I thought I would ask first to
make sure it wasn't already discussed.

In the Grub MESSAGE file there is a suggestion like this:
"
GRUB is not actually installed on your disk until you run a command
such as
        grub-install /dev/wd0d
or
        grub-install '(hd0)'
"

If you have a floppy drive (and it is empty) this command can take
nearly 15 minutes while it keeps trying to read the floppy.  I was
doing this remotely and thought my hardware was hosed.  It took me
some time to notice the errors logging to dmesg / console.

Might I suggest 'grub-install --no-floppy /dev/wd0d' as an example instead?

It should be fairly obvious to someone that is installing Grub to a
floppy that they need to remove the --no-floppy AND change wd0d
anyway.

-Andrew