Subject: What happened to the good ntop?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2005 23:11:04
What happened to the ntop I knew (pkgsrc/net/ntop)?  It was a nice happy
curses application to display network traffic usage.  It had an optional
web interface that had a reputation for security vulnerabilities, and
which I didn't ever use.

It seems to have been replaces by an ugly spyware application, which
is kind enough to print a message to say, in effect, "I have just
phoned home to report on you (and to check whether a newer version is
available.)  Next time, you can use a command line option to suppress
that."  The new ntop doesn't seem to have any curses code at all, only
the web interface which used to be optional.

So, it there anything that does what the old ntop used to do?  Just
display stuff locally, using curses, and only monitoring the network,
not transmitting anything (except perhaps DNS lookups), and certainly
not phoning home.

--apb (Alan Barrett)