Subject: Re: using native bash/tcsh shell instead of pkgsrc versions
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2005 18:37:24
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Any thoughts on this? How would you do this? Maybe builtin.mk file?

We've had similar thoughts with texinfo in the very early days of pkgsrc.
Question is, will the native versions be good enough? I guess for the
shells this can be assumed, a test may not be too hard to add, so it could
save indeed some cycles and a redundant pkg installation.

It would be good if you could test if pinepgp builds with a native bash,
and openoffice with a native tcsh first, to gather some data.

Plan B (my preferred one) would be to fix those apps to use standard
sh/csh syntax, and esp. not need bash/tcsh where sh/csh can be enough.

  - Hubert (loathing clueless bash-c0ders)

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)