Subject: mk/bulk/build questions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2005 23:26:44
I did a couple runs (with less than 130 packages attempted) of using
mk/bulk/build (on FreeBSD).

1) I noticed that my .broken.html files include logs of builds of other
packages. For example, converters/wv2/.broken.html also logs failed build
of sysutils/fam.

I also have a sysutils/fam/.broken.html which logs the same.

It seems like the building of a specific package should only be logged in
its own .broken.html. (So converters/wv2/.broken.html should only mention
that sysutils/fam is marked failed, but don't attempt to build again.)

Is that correct or incorrect behaviour? (Should the same build be logged
twice?)

2) I have several "Broken packages" listed on front page. Their
.broken.html logs show that several dependencies are pkg_add'ed. And then
at end if logs that one of the dependencies "seems broken and needs
attention" and then marks the package as broken.

(One example is net/ORBit which pkg_add's libtool-base, libiconv,
gettext-lib, gettext-m4, gettext, gmake, and popt all before checking that
libIDL is broken.)

It seems it could be faster if one of the dependencies has a .broken.html
file, then it should log that (like it did) but not waste time doing the
pkg_add's for the others before that.

Is there any option to define to make it check for all dependencies'
.broken.html files before any pkg_add?

Anyways, the bulk build mechanism is fun to use and is very useful ...

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/