Subject: Re: Threading problems
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/22/2005 16:17:10
jdolecek@NetBSD.org (Jaromir Dolecek) writes:

> Yeah, the libpthread lossage is becoming quite a big problem. Is there
> no way to avoid the crash when loading threaded object module
> to non-threaded application? We urgently need to come up with
> pkgsrc solution for this.

The crash is intentional; the alternative is to have things break in
more subtle ways, such as not having mutexes protecting stdio or malloc.

I'm trying to figure out why this seems to be so much more of a
problem for us, when as far as I know dynamically loading libpthread
only works on AIX. Is it just that we're complaining about the failure
rather than just letting things break strangely?

        - Nathan