Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/textproc/dict-client
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2005 14:10:07
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:34:03PM -0500, Jim Wise wrote:
> It is visible to a user setting up the package for the first time (as it
> affects the default behavior, and thus reduces the chance that you'll
> need to set up a custom config file).  It is invisible to users
> upgrading -- the users who are served by bumping PKGREVISION for changes
> which do affect them, and badly disserved by bumping PKGREVISION -- as
> you just did -- for invisible changes, thus spamming their pkg_chk
> output.

I think you're forgetting the users who install a package for the
first time. If they install the binary package, and there is no
PKGREVISION bump, how are they supposed to know how much they have
to configure it?

It is a new version because it has different features from the
previous one, and we usually try to keep these apart.

To get back to your original question from the first mail:
> I really don't think a change in a packages default installed
> configuration qualifies.
>
> Do you?

Yes, I do. I guess this is where the main difference lies between
our points of view. :)
 Thomas