Subject: Re: libnet vs. libnet11
To: Christoph Badura <bad@bsd.de>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2005 09:40:43
Christoph Badura wrote:
> Do we have a strategy for pkgs using libnet vs. pkgs using libnet11?
> AFAIK these versions are incompatible and the way the libnet11 pkg was
> done makes it conflict with the older libnet.
>
> --chris

Hi,

This is pretty much a re-hash of PR #29056 with some updates but
basically . . . The issue here is that libnet 1.0.x and 1.1.x, in the
current incarnation, cannot co-exist on the same system at the same time
due to conficting files.

At this point in time:

The following need to be updated to support libnet 1.1.x branch:
- tcptraceroute (beta supports 1.1.x)

The following currently only work with the libnet 1.1.x branch:
- firewalk, packit, isic and tcpreplay

The following packages can support both and i'm planning on using the
options.mk framework to allow building with the 1.0.x branch or the
1.1.x branch:
- arping (done) and libnids (WIP)

The following currently only work with the libnet 1.0.x branch:
- cdpd, nemesis, scdp, xipdump, dsniff and pakemon

I'll try and make the transition painless but at the end of the day it
may be necessary for users to make a choice between the two libnet
branches and this will in turn dictate which packages can be installed.

At the time I was doing this the only alternate I could think of is to
allow the installation of both libnet packages (1.0.x and 1.1.x) side by
side.  I think this is do-able if we setup a directory structure like this:

include/libnet11/
include/libnet10/
lib/libnet11/
lib/libnet10/

Some binaries and man pages in the packages would have to be re-named as
well.  It could get messy and some packages may take a bit of
crowbarring to get them to work but I suppose it could work.

I'd be interested to hear of any feedback that people may have on this.

regards,

adrian.