Subject: Re: SunOS.mk default shell for SH
To: None <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2005 17:55:36
Am 04.03.2005 um 10:37 Uhr -0600 schrieb Eric Boutilier:
>>>I looked at the other platform mk files and using /bin/ksh is the
>>>exception -- most seem to be using /bin/sh -- which is probably
>>>bash on BSD and Linux systems, and maybe some UNIX systems too.
>>
>>this was changed to ksh some time ago because the demand for ksh by
>>some GNU configure scripts was overwhelming.
>
>I'm not sure I understand. If the demand for ksh is so strong,
>why do most configs in mk/platform have: SH?=/bin/sh ?

Because /bin/sh, the bourne ("posix") shell, is the default for shell
scripts. Unless the platform's bourne shell is so old...

Have you tried out /usr/xpg4/bin/sh as the shell on Solaris?

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik