Subject: Re: SunOS.mk default shell for SH
To: J Chapman Flack <flack@cs.purdue.edu>
From: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2005 10:26:39
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, J Chapman Flack wrote:
>> hmm, that is strange. I wonder what is triggering this and making ksh
>> die.
>
> I have a moderate-to-strong suspicion that this, ironically, will involve
> /bin/ksh on Solaris being really ksh, where we probably have some packages
> tested against NetBSD's /bin/ksh, which isn't, and developers testing against
> a ksh that isn't are likely to end up with ksh scripts that aren't.
>
> Now that ksh is CPL'd it should be easier to nip that problem in the bud.
> I'm looking at updating shells/ast-ksh as a step in that direction.
>
> -Chap
>
> btw, what does the current Solaris ksh respond to
> $ print ${.sh.version}
> ?

When I do that I get:

# /bin/ksh
# print ${.sh.version}
/bin/ksh: ${.sh.version}: bad substitution

But here's some version info I think:

# strings /bin/ksh | grep -i version
@(#)Version M-11/16/88i

So it's old, but the good news I found out there is there is a plan
to update /bin/ksh -- hopefully in a forthcoming Solaris 10 update release.

Eric