Subject: Re: SunOS.mk default shell for SH
To: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/2005 11:18:03
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Eric Boutilier wrote:

> I did have to make one tiny "update" to SunOS.mk to get fluxbox
> to build. Otherwise, it dumps a /bin/ksh core part way through
> the build (right after compiling ToolFactory.o).
>
> I figured out the work-around is to change SH?= /bin/ksh to
> SH?= /bin/bash in SunOS.mk. Then, instead of changing it back,
> I left it that way with no problems so far.
>
> I looked at the other platform mk files and using /bin/ksh is the
> exception -- most seem to be using /bin/sh -- which is probably
> bash on BSD and Linux systems, and maybe some UNIX systems too.

Bash is not provided by the BSDs in any default installation. (And I
assume several pkgsrc developers don't even have bash installed.)

> --------
> .if exists(/bin/bash)
> SH?=         /bin/bash
> .else
> SH?=         /bin/ksh
> .endif
> --------

That seems fine to me. Or maybe someone knows of some improvement for why
ksh core dumped.

> Finally, I have a protocol question. In the future, for this
> kind of thing, should I do this first (open a discussion here)
> and maybe open a PR later? Or should I just open a PR? Or do both
> in parallel?

I think this list is fine. Sometimes opening a PR is slow and may be a
waste of time. A PR is good for when something needs to be remembered
though -- so for example if nothing is improved quickly maybe PR it.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/