Subject: "ftp -a" doesn't bypass or fail HTTP authorization redirects
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/28/2005 17:33:18
Last night I was starting up another rebuild of all my Alpha packages
with "pkg_chk" and today found it hung at some kind of HTTP AUTH check
because it seems I accidentally deleted my local copy of the INIT file.

So, I retried with "ftp -a" (which I now think should be the default for
bulk and pkg_chk builds) only to find it still hangs!

# ftp -a http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/download/tgz/INIT.2003-07-24.tgz
Requesting http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/download/tgz/INIT.2003-07-24.tgz
401 Authorization Required
Username for `(hit CANCEL to see the name and password to use; using a name and password to access downloads binds you to use the software only in accordance with the Common Public License)': ^?

Unfortunately even if I follow the exceedingly stupid (must have been
devices by a non-techno lawyer!) instructions for accepting the license,
that file is no longer found.  There is only INIT.2005-02-02.tgz.  Sigh.

At least it can be downloaded from countless other unrestricted mirrors.  :-)

(and if "ftp -a" bypassed the AUTH redirect then it would have worked!)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>