Subject: Re: gnumeric lookin up:)
To: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Loren M. Lang <lorenl@alzatex.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2005 03:34:13
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:27:01PM +1100, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:

> gnumeric now rebuilt and i think it works.
> got a funny question now to test it.
>
> from home now, I can login to work and do :
> setenv DISPLAY 134.178.63.253:0.0
> (on my machine at work)
> but that is the allocated ip of my dial in
> gateway box. Not the box i'm working on
> right now. which is my pc on the home
> network.
>
> so i still get cannot open display:  error.

If you really wanted to get around this, then the correct fix would be
to tell the gateway box to forward port 6000 to your internal home
machine, but a much better fix would be to use X11 forwarding when you
connect to your work machine:

ssh -X my.work.machine

instead of

ssh my.work.machine

Also, make sure that X11Forwarding is set to yes on the work machine's
sshd_config file.

> is there a way to redirect the X window
> display images that the dial in box is now
> getting, to go towards my pc on the home network?
>
> thks,
> P.
>

> --

> Paul
> Australian Bureau Of Meteorology

I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C