Subject: slight crisis with netbsd desktop box.
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/23/2005 16:22:41
Hi everyone,

I use NetBSD on the desktop. Because I loath windows.
Nothing new, preaching to the converted I know. Ok.

However, I rebuilt firefox recently and now lots of my
essential apps are failing. Mainly gnumeric and Abiword
for word documents. Guys in our workplace send around
microsoft monopoly files you see.

The problem seems to just affect gnome based apps.
They all can't find library files anymore. eg:

su# ./gnumeric
Shared object "libxml2.so.8" not found

But if I search for libxml2.so.8 in
/opt/pkgsrc/textproc/libxml2   ( when built of course )

I can't find it.
ie it isn't in the latest package source tree.
So what hope have I of getting it?
Nor is it in any system libs. Checked this too.

Similar story for Abiword that can't find some library file.

It's just that this is a damn disaster. I need these apps
to do my job.

If no one knows what is wrong or what has gone wrong,
I am wondering what is the best solution for me?

Is there a pkg_delete switch or something that I could do
to remove all packages and start again? Would that help?

here's hoping for something.
PLEASE don't let me have to go back to Linux or Heaven forbid
windozzzzzzzze.   Save me from this fate...

Why does the best OS in the world always trip me up on the desktop?
It should surely be good for this purpose as well as for servers. This is
how it was originally sold to me.

regards,
Paul.

Paul