Subject: Re: pkg_select updates
To: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
From: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/17/2005 15:28:26
On Thursday 17 February 2005 14:58, Chris Wareham wrote:
> Mark Kirby wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 February 2005 12:02, iMil wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>i've made some important addons / changes to pkg_select, among them :
> >>
> >>. installed packages administration
> >>. dependencies browsing
> >>. partial Makefile includes handling
> >>. PKG_DBDIR and PKGSRCDIR env. variables handling
> >>. manpage
> >>. various cosmetic changes, like scrollbar, popups, info messages etc..
> >>
> >>next step, along with bugfixes, will be to import Peter Postma's pkgfind
> >>code into pkg_select so it can make pkgsrc full search.
> >>Of course i really need some testing, so if you have some minutes, feel
> >>free to cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@gcu.info:/cvs co pkg_select
> >>Any suggestions are very welcome
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just tried it out. All i can say is wow. It's very easy to use and very
> > easy to navigate through the pkgsrc tree. Excellent job.
> >
> > I have two questions.
> >
> > 1) what does a star next to a package name mean?
> >     Does it mean that package is installed.
> >
> > 2) How seperate is the gui from the rest of the program?
> >     I would be happy to write a QT/KDE version either as a standalone
> > program or integrated into KDE's package manager (KPackage)
>
> I'd also like to have a go at writing a GTK+ frontend for pkg_select.
> Perhaps we could pool resources if we need a common set of function
> calls into the guts of pkg_select. I haven't looked at the code itself
> yet, only compiled and run it, so for all I know it may have a clean
> separation between the display and pkg related stuff already.
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

I've had a quick skim over the code and it seems pretty seperate. However i've
never seen any curses code before so i wouldnt know it if i saw it.

I'm going to stick some qt stuff onto it later and see if i cant at least get
the pkgsrc categories displayed.

I'm happy to pool resources so feel free to contact me.

Mark