Subject: Re: pkg_select updates
To: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/17/2005 14:58:32
Mark Kirby wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 12:02, iMil wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>i've made some important addons / changes to pkg_select, among them :
>>
>>. installed packages administration
>>. dependencies browsing
>>. partial Makefile includes handling
>>. PKG_DBDIR and PKGSRCDIR env. variables handling
>>. manpage
>>. various cosmetic changes, like scrollbar, popups, info messages etc..
>>
>>next step, along with bugfixes, will be to import Peter Postma's pkgfind
>>code into pkg_select so it can make pkgsrc full search.
>>Of course i really need some testing, so if you have some minutes, feel
>>free to cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@gcu.info:/cvs co pkg_select
>>Any suggestions are very welcome
>>
>>Thanks
>

> Hi,
>
> Just tried it out. All i can say is wow. It's very easy to use and very easy
> to navigate through the pkgsrc tree. Excellent job.
>
> I have two questions.
>
> 1) what does a star next to a package name mean?
>     Does it mean that package is installed.
>
> 2) How seperate is the gui from the rest of the program?
>     I would be happy to write a QT/KDE version either as a standalone program
>     or integrated into KDE's package manager (KPackage)

I'd also like to have a go at writing a GTK+ frontend for pkg_select.
Perhaps we could pool resources if we need a common set of function
calls into the guts of pkg_select. I haven't looked at the code itself
yet, only compiled and run it, so for all I know it may have a clean
separation between the display and pkg related stuff already.

Chris