Subject: Re: boolean variables in pkgsrc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2005 19:57:46
On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 13:09 -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
>
> > I'd like to clean up all the uses of boolean variables that are set to
> > #defined instead of YES/yes/NO/no and to modify all the queries to be of the
> > second form (:M[Yy][Ee][Ss]). Personally I prefer the lowercase yes/no, but
> > there seem to be many that prefer uppercase, so I won't try to change that.
>
> This is fine with me personally, but please be careful not to trip over
> variables that currently are allowed to be defined/undefined per
> mk/defaults/mk.conf (as those are set by mk.conf, not pkgsrc).  Those should
> be converted, but via renaming and/or options.mk conversions.

Or maybe add some extra logic (wherever needed, maybe defaults/mk.conf)
to check if one of those variables is defined and, in that case, set it
to yes.  I.e.,

.if defined(PKG_DEVELOPER) && empty(PKG_DEVELOPER)
PKG_DEVELOPER= yes
.endif

We'd then deprecate these constructions after a branch or two.

Anyway, no objections from me to the cleanup.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/