Subject: Re: lang/gcc3-c++ is still broken on Solaris
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2005 08:28:21
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> grant beattie wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:56:33PM +0000, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> >

> >># uname -a
> >>SunOS usparc 5.10 s10_72 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> >>
> >>Greetings, has anyone ever managed to build lang/gcc3-c++ on Solaris?
> >>I've noticed it has been broken for a long time now and I'm not a pkgsrc
> >>guru, so I don't know how to fix it. The problem is: half way through
> >>building gcc3-c++, it seems that configure script goes into infinite
> >>loop and keeps running the same tests over and over again.
> >>
> >>I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this issue,
> >>as it would be extremely nice to have GNU C++ compiler on Solaris via
> >>pkgsrc.
> >

> > I recently built gcc3-c++ on Solaris 9 with an external gcc without
> > any problems:
> >
> > # pkg_info | grep gcc
> > gcc3-c-3.3.4        GNU Compiler Collection, v3 - C compiler
> > gcc3-c++-3.3.4      GNU Compiler Collection, v3 - C++ compiler
> > gcc3-f77-3.3.4      GNU Compiler Collection, v3 - F77 compiler
> >
> > # pkg_info -B gcc3-c++ | grep -i CC_VERSION
> > CC_VERSION=gcc-3.3.4
> >
> > I have previously built it using SunPro without any problems, too. I
> > don't know if this is specific to Solaris 10 -- it may be.
> >
> > could you send-pr(1) this, and include the build output fragment that
> > loops?
> >
> > grant.
> >

> OK, I'll file a PR. I've tried lang/gcc34 and it compiles C and C++
> compilers OK, but I have the following problem on Solaris:
>
> I used external gcc to build lang/gcc34, however dependant packages like
> zlib, libiconv, etc., and even gcc executable itself have references to
> external gcc's libgcc_s.so.1 library. This will break those packages
> when I remove the external compiler. Is there any trick to fix this
> chicken-vs-egg problem?
> I've tried rebuilding, for example zlib, with newly installed gcc34, by
> setting GCC_REQD=3.4 and running 'bmake clean', 'bmake replace'. For
> some reason zlib was still refering to external libgcc_s.so.1 library.

sigsegv@rambler.ru,

I can confirm successful builds of gcc3-c, gcc3-c++, and gcc3-f77
on Solaris 10. Here are a couple things you might want to try
(differences between your setup and mine).

- Install the official Solaris 10 release.
  (download here: http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp)
  You're using an old release from the Solaris Express program.

- Use /usr/sfw/bin/gcc

Also see my other message from earlier today.

I'd also recommend that you update (or re-install) your pkgsrc tree
from the latest one in CVS. There were a couple fixes in the last
few days that make building gcc3-c on Solaris better.

Eric