Subject: ast-ksh (Korn shell)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <chap0@cs.purdue.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2005 19:05:55
AT&T put up a Korn shell update in December with significant functionality
over the version currently in pkgsrc, and also a license change from the
old peculiar AT&T license to CPL.

I notice our ast-ksh package doesn't have a named maintainer, and I'd be
willing to give it a go.  I've noticed our package currently installs
only ksh and ksh.1, but not libshell and libast and the headers needed
for programs that embed ksh or to develop loadable builtins - sort of like
a Tcl package that installed tclsh but not libtcl.  This seems like an
opportune time to rework the ast-ksh package a bit, I'm a bit of a ksh
enthusiast and advocate, and I've been looking for an excuse to get the
hang of making a package.

Any objections if I work on an update of ast-ksh?  Is anyone else dying
to do it?

Thanks,
Chapman Flack

hmm, one thing I'm sure to need to know, as I only have the i386 port to
work on: how big are the differences in shareable object/library handling
between different NetBSD ports?  If something like a loadable/embeddable
script language is made to work in one port, how straightforward (or not)
is it typically to get it working in other ports?  Thanks  jcf