Subject: Re: To strip or not to strip
To: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2005 03:31:11
Adrian Portelli wrote:

>> May I ask, where can I find options such as this documented?
> You can start with packages(7) and also the pkgsrc documentation under
> pkgsrc/doc.
> Every now and then just looking at the source files under mk/ can also
> help.

It would really be nice if these options were documented.. I found
INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED neither in the manpage, nor on pkgsrc/doc, nor in the
documentation of www.pkgsrc.org (although I haven't searched the latter
exhaustively).  Same with certain package-specific options, like
SUSE_PREFER.  It's nice that if you ask on the mailing lists you get an
answer like "oh, but you have to set the xyz variable" and then it works
but it would be even better if that kind of insider knowledge was
available somewhere for the user to find before having to bother people
on the mailing lists.

mkb.