Subject: Re: pkg-vulnverabilities location
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2005 22:44:01
On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 01:36:36PM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> 	I've been getting a bit annoyed that I need to keep creating a
> /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles directory on machine without pkgsrc just to provide
> a location for download-vulnerability-list to put it's list.  I know
> I can change that by setting PKGVULNDIR, but it seems like a poor default.
>
> 	How about if we change that to /var/db or /var/tmp?
> (or even ${PREFIX}/var/db, if there's an easy way for a script to know
>  where it happens to get installed into)

Please don't change it from ${PKGVULNDIR}.  The DISTFILES directory
was chosen for a purpose, and you can modify it with PKGVULNDIR, as
you say. Far from it being a "poor default", there isn't really a
better one.

/var/tmp is not meant for things like that, and we have been
overloading /var/db for too long for it to be viewed as a viable
alternative.

Thanks,
Alistair