Subject: Re: pkg-vulnverabilities location
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2005 20:33:06
Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com> writes:

| 	I've been getting a bit annoyed that I need to keep creating a
| /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles directory on machine without pkgsrc just to provide
| a location for download-vulnerability-list to put it's list.  I know
| I can change that by setting PKGVULNDIR, but it seems like a poor default.

I like ${DISTDIR} as the default.  I also set ${DISTDIR} in /etc/mk.conf
to a value that is reachable on all machines via amd mounts.  In my case,
this is what I use:

    DISTDIR=/pub/distfiles

As an additional benefit I only need to run down-vulnerability-list on
one machine (I chose the one that has the physical disk).

| 	How about if we change that to /var/db or /var/tmp?
| (or even ${PREFIX}/var/db, if there's an easy way for a script to know
|  where it happens to get installed into)

I like all of these much less as a default.  Both /var/db and /var/tmp
are local to each machine, and ${PREFIX}/var sounds like a really bad
idea altogether in environments where ${PREFIX} is a shared disk, or is
maintained by synchronizing its contents.

Regards,
+ Kim