Subject: Re: ${ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES.${packagename}}
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2005 12:10:28
--IvGM3kKqwtniy32b

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:55:21AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > >   LICENSE=3D       fee-based-commercial-use
> >=20
> > In pkgsrc, when dealing with licensing issues, we err on the side of
> > caution.
>=20
> That reminds me:  I often want to accept licences on a per-package
> basis, not on a per-licence-class basis.  For example,
> instead of "ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+=3D fee-based-commercial-use"
> I want to be able to say:
>=20
> # I don't intend to make any commercial use of LAME.
> ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES.lame=3D	fee-based-commercial-use
>=20
> I have personal patches that allow this, but I haven't got around
> to submitting them as a PR.

Packages don't usually come with several licences.  I'd rather have
something like:

ACCEPT_LICENSE+=3D lame

And not only to have it per-package: a given fee-based-commercial-use
licence is not exactly like all the others, so you might agree to one,
but not the others.

That said, I obviously agree with the general idea.

(Actually, what about ACCEPT_LICENCE? :-)

--=20

--IvGM3kKqwtniy32b

--IvGM3kKqwtniy32b--