Subject: Re: pkgtools/x11-links permissions
To: Ian D. Leroux <ian_leroux@fastmail.fm>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/02/2005 11:20:00
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Ian D. Leroux wrote:

> Well at least it'll be documented in the list archives; and I'll think
> about putting it some place more obvious.  How should I be setting those
> variables so that they're unprivileged during the build but back to
> default during the install?

Hm.  Perhaps borrowing netpbm's idea would be the best approach after all,
doing all of the following in sequence in the install phase:

1. create a staging directory
2. use appropriate commands to generate the tree in the staging directory
3. use ${PAX} -rwpp to copy to ${PREFIX}
4. ${RM} -f -r the staging directory

netpbm uses this mainly for dynamic PLIST generation, and it uses ${CP} and
${CHMOD}, which are not ideal.  The same approach could simply use
${INSTALL_*} in step 2 above.

If the install somehow fails in the middle of this process, "make clean"
will fail.  This is a real problem with netpbm's fiddling about, but your
simple ${INSTALL_*} farm shouldn't pose a problem.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>