Subject: Re: problems with choosing a Berkeley DB
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2005 21:43:29
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:59:25 -0500 (EST)
Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> wrote:

> ...which may even be db1 on some platforms, depending on pkgsrc leadership's
> opinion.  That still means that PKGREVISION bumps are needed whenever db4
> changes in this scenario, of course.

Yeah, well.  What I mean is that, regardless what the default is, we must
have a default and stick to it.  If the user is not happy and want to
change it, fine, but then he can't expect pre-built binary packages work
fine for him.

> This also happens for pgsql and other packages, and it really is annoying
> because of the use-whatever-is-installed scheme.  Perhaps this is an
> indicator that we should change the policy to make these bl3 files use
> whatever the user prefers, or if the preference is not supported, default to
> a fixed version based on the package acceptable list, never checking which
> version is installed already.

Agreed.  I'm all for consistency (one of the strong points of pkgsrc I'd
say, compared to other systems).

Just as a note: I'm only a bit familiar with python, but since I set
"PYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT= 23pth" in my mk.conf, I only have _one_
version of it installed.  IIRC, I used to have several in the past for no
real reason.

These kind of settings should be defaults (maybe differing depending on
the platform, I don't know), as you outlined in the previous paragraph.

> I should add that removing the use-whatever-is-installed logic to achieve
> this consistency will help my derecursion effort in spades.  That's because
> it means far less build-time pkg_info and .if exists() checks in the
> Makefile goop.  :)

:)

Cheers

--